Menu
  • Abous us
  • Search database
  • Resources
  • Donate
  • Faq

 

Longest Fixed Bailey Bridge

<< Back to Winden

Details:

On the north side of the road on the east side of the river. Monument

A concrete base holds a bronze plaque. The plaque has the insignias of the US Army Engineer Corps, the First Infantry Division, the 9th Armored Division, the III Corps, and the First Army. English text.

Monument Text:

To commemorate the 284th Engineer Combat Battalion

26 February 1945

C company Bailey bridge site

built under indirect fire, this Bailey bridge

was the longest fixed Bailey bridge of WWII

in the ETO at 254 it was used to move the

9th Armored Division

across the Roer river to capture the

Ludendorff bridge at Remagen

Commemorates:

Units:

1st Army

1st Infantry Division

284th Engineer Combat Battalion

9th Armored Division

III Corps

United States Army

Wars:

WWII

Other images :