The leftmost of the three memorial objects at the site. Marker A plexiglass information panel in a wooden frame describes the history of the site.
On 27 May 1944 a B-17 Flying Fortress of the 351st bomb group and 501st Bomb Squadron traversed our region after taking off from England. The squadron's mission was a bombing run in Germany. The B-17, which was one of the lead aircraft, was charged with dropping aluminum strips to disable German radar. The plane, serial number 42-31975, and called "Windows" was attacked by a German Messerschmidt 109 fighter plane who brough down the big plane with its machine gun next to the stele in this area called La Maxerelle.